The biggest advantage of the south-eastern Poland region are numerous monuments and a very long and interesting history. The main attraction of the region is undoubtedly Kalisz, considered to be the oldest city in Poland (documented 1800 years of existence). In addition, we see the castle in Gołuchów in the French Renaissance style mansion in Russ Maria Dabrowska and the Museum of Industrial History in Opatówek. In small towns and a good eye wooden village churches.
Today 110- thousandth Kalisz is the second largest city in Wielkopolska and in many ways runner region. Claudius Ptolemy – Alexandrian geographer – in the second century AD Calisia name mentioned in his work Fri. Geography (or outline of Geography), so Kalisz in Poland is the oldest written pedigree, then, of course, every step of the benefits.
In 1314. Ladislaus the Short established the capital city of the Duchy. From 1389 years become less a branch of the Academy of Krakow, and less than 200 years later, the Jesuits founded the seminary and college. Good times ended in the mid-seventeenth century, the Swedish army, and later the Great Northern War and a few others, and stretching them pestilence weakened the city. After a period of Prussian rule and belonging to the Duchy of Warsaw in 1815 Kalisz came under Russian rule. There has been a rapid development of light industry, mainly textiles. In 1878, Arnold Fibiger founded the piano factory.
In the middle of the square is the town hall built stately neo-Renaissance style in the years 1920-1925. It was built on a square plan, with an interior courtyard and a high tower, strikingly highlighted after dark. The first Gothic town hall stood already in the fifteenth century. Rebuilt after a fire in the years of the twentieth, survived the First World War.
North of the market, the street of canon, built St. Vitus Cathedral. Nicholas. Established in 1254 years for the money Prince Boleslaw the Pious. The interior is decorated in gothic-baroque. Part of the murals and stained glass windows made Vladimir Tetmajer (Chapel of Our Lady of Consolation) Another interesting feature is the fact that in 1838 was baptized Adam Asnyk here. In the Baroque altar hangs z1662 the copy of the painting of Rubens’ Descent from the Cross “. The original is by no means a Rijksmusem in Amsterdam – until recently he was here, but on the night of 13 to 14 December 1973 years burned down under mysterious circumstances today. Near the market extends the square of St. Joseph. The park separates it late Baroque collegiate Assumption of 1790, the most important monument of Kalisz, built on the site of a wooden, then a Gothic church. The church was raised to the rank of minor basilica.
The rich Baroque-Rococo interior regret not gold. In the chapel of St. Joseph is a painting of the Holy Family, donated to the church in 1670, as a thank you to St. Joseph for the wonderful convalescence. In the next century, it was officially recognized as a miracle.
The temple stands out the chancel and vestry. The vault is among Gothic cup of 1363roku gift Casimir the Great, so called. patera Kalisz – the gift of Mieszko III the Old monastery in Lad
Near the collegiate side to ul.Kolegialnej, rises classical building with its impressive portico, remodeled in the years 1824-1825. It is the former palace of the Archbishops of Gniezno, currently housed government offices. First court archbishops already existed in Kalisz in 1353 years.
For the collegiate church, next to the entrance to the park, ran past the city walls with towers. The rest followed by, among others, Fourteenth-century bastions Dorothy. In contrast to most buildings of this type, it is not round, but formed a semi-circle on the plan. Since 1992, it has established in Kalisz brotherhood motors. In the past, Dorothy served as a prison for women of easy virtue, hence the name of its former Prison -Baszta
The church and monastery facing South of Market (access street. St. Stanislaus), the Prosną. The church was built as a Gothic basilica in the middle of the thirteenth century by order of the Duke Boleslaw the Pious. The monastery was built a hundred years later. In the fourteenth century the temple was rebuilt into a church hall. Inside the eye-catching late-Baroque high altar and the pulpit in the shape of a boat dating back to 1862.
If you want to go to the left bank Prosny flowing through Kalisz, take advantage of the historic Stone Bridge (from the market leads to the ul.Śródmiejska) .Zbudowano in the years 1815 to 1825 on the order of Tsar Alexander I (bridge has a second name: Alexandria). Jednołukową building designed by S. Szpilowski. The construction of the bridge was built of stone, basing it on more than one hundred oak piles driven into the bottom of the river. Earlier Kalisz crossing at this location by Prosna using the wooden bridge of Wroclaw.
The museum Kalisz behind Canal Rypnikowskim (ul. Kosciuszko 12). The first exhibition was held in 1900 in the halls of City Hall.